Year 5/6 - Ms T Murphy
Autumn Term 2019
Welcome to class TMY5/6
Hello and welcome to Miss Murphy’s Year 5/6 class where we hope to have a superb year ahead! Mrs Taylor, Mrs Lorgat and Mrs Akudi provide ETA support.
Things to remember:
- Reading records - Please make sure you listen to your child read each day and sign their reading records. It is an excellent way for you to help your child succeed in both reading and writing! Record which page your child has read to and also when they have finished a book so we know when to change it.
- Times tables – Fluency in times tables will really help with answering calculations quickly and efficiently, particularly for those children taking their SATs next May. If your child struggles with times tables questions, please encourage them to practice regularly.
- Spellings - Our spelling test is on Monday. New spellings are sent home on the previous Monday, so make sure you help your child practice them ready for their test the following week.
- PE is on Mondays and Wednesdays, so make sure your child comes to school with their PE kit – T-shirt and shorts, trainers, sweatshirt or hoodie and jogging bottoms for outdoor sessions.
- KS2 Celebration assembly is at 2.30pm on Wednesday – Children who have impressed the adults in class will be chosen as our star pupil of the week and will receive a certificate of achievement. All mums, dads, grandparents or carers are welcome to come along.
- Homework – All pupils have been given a homework book in which a piece of maths, English or topic work is put every Friday. This needs to be completed and handed in by the following Wednesday at the latest. Learning the weekly spelling list and daily reading are also homework tasks.
Autumn term –
Literacy – We are reading The Adventures of Odysseus by Hugh Lupton and Daniel Morden. It’s an adaptation of Homer’s poem The Odyssey, about the Greek king’s struggle to return home after the Trojan war. From reading this we will aim to improve our writing skills and build on our sentences, writing information posters, letters, narrative descriptions and story mapping.
Maths – We will begin with number and place value, including Roman numerals. After working on our counting skills, we will progress to adding and subtracting.
Science – This term Year 5 pupils are looking at properties and changes of materials, with Year 6 children exploring healthy bodies.
History and Geography – We will be learning about Ancient Greece, focusing on the different states, warfare, beliefs and daily life. We will also find out the civilisation’s place in history and learn about the geography of modern-day Greece.
Art and DT- We will be looking at Greek art, designing, making and evaluating our own comedy and tragedy masks. In DT, we will be designing and creating our own labyrinth.
Computing - We will learn about developing games and using the internet as a research tool.
French – We will focus on vocabulary about going on holiday, moving onto eating out.
PHSE – We will be following the “Jigsaw” scheme and investigating our place in the world and the local school community.
Please help your child meet their targets by taking an interest in what they are doing in school and helping them when they need it!
The adults in class are working hard to make sure that the children in our class have a happy and successful year. If you wish to discuss anything concerning your child, please call in and see me at the beginning or end of the school day when we are usually available, or make an appointment at the office.