Year 3 Mrs Dale & Mr
Y3 Mrs Dale & Mrs Wilkinson
Welcome to class Y3
Hello and welcome to Mrs Dale and Mrs Wilkinson’s Year 3 class, where we hope to have a superb year!
Mrs Schofield and Mrs Bradshaw are the support staff who help us with our learning
Things to remember:
- Reading records - Please make sure you listen to your child read each day and sign their reading records. It is an excellent way for you to help your child succeed in both reading and writing!
- Times tables – if your child could spend 5 minutes each day learning their times tables, this will really help with answering the calculations they need to solve.
- Our spelling test is on Friday. New spellings are sent home the previous Monday, please could you help your child practice them ready for their test.
- Homework will be set every Friday and will be an extension of what the children have been learning about in school. Homework needs to be completed and returned to school by the following Tuesday.
- Swimming is on Monday morning, your child needs a swimming costume (swimsuit for girls, trunks or lycra shorts, not long shorts for boys), hat and towel. Remember, if your child wears earrings, they are not allowed to swim with them in, so we advise you to take them out before coming to school. Hats are on sale at the office for £1.50.
- PE is on Thursday afternoon please ensure their kit is in school - T-shirt and shorts, trainers, sweatshirt or hoodie and jogging bottoms for outdoor sessions. No football shirts, please.
- Celebration assembly is on Wednesday afternoon - Children who have impressed the adults in class will be chosen as our star pupil of the week and will receive a certificate of achievement. All mums, dads, grandparents or carers are welcome to come along any week.
Literacy – We will be reading ‘Escape from Pompeii’ by Christina Balit and the Story of Romulus and Remus this term.
We will be looking at a range of writing including myths and legends, fables and recounts.
They will apply the SPAG (Spelling Punctuation and Grammar) that they learn as they progress through the half term.
Maths – We will start with number and move on to place value and counting. The children will learn about how numbers are formed and the value of each digit in a number. The children will move on to adding and subtracting and learning different methods to solve problems. The children will learn skills to help them become better at reasoning and problem solving. Please ensure your child continues to learn their times-tables 2,3,4,5,10.
Science – Our topic in Science is Forces and Magnets. The children will learn about forces in the context of pushing and pulling, and will identify different actions as pushes or pulls. They will work scientifically and collaboratively to investigate friction, by exploring the movement of a toy car over different surfaces. They will work in a hands on way to identify magnetic materials. The children will use their understanding of magnetic attraction to design and create their own magnetic game. They will develop their scientific enquiry skills, making observations, predictions and conclusions.
History – Our topic this half term is Invaders and Settlers concentrating on the Romans. Children will learn about Roman civilisations and how they affect life in Rome now. Children will learn about the impact important figures had on shaping History. Children will use a variety of texts, pictures, books and the internet to research and learn about the Romans
Art – Children will be investigating patterns in art. Children will learn about a variety of patterns and how the shapes are visual representations for what they author is trying to explain. They will move on to learning about Roman patterns and mosaics and the colours they used.
Computing – Children will learn how programmes work and try to design their own.
French - We will be developing our conversation skills, learning how to introduce ourselves and learning the numbers up to ten.
RE – We will be following the Kirklees syllabus for all our RE lessons. We will be investigating the beliefs and practices of religions and other world views
PHSE - We will be following the school PHSE scheme “Jigsaw”. We will look at
how we will make our class a good place to be and our roles within the class.
Please help your child meet their targets by taking an interest in what they are doing in school and helping them when they need it!
PE – Children will be learning and practising skills for Invasion Games, we are playing Netball and introducing the rules of High 5 netball. The children will practise different passes, zoning and tactics for defending and attacking.
The adults in class are working hard to make sure that the children in our class have a happy and successful year. If you wish to discuss anything concerning your child, please call in and see us at the beginning or end of the school day when we are usually available, or make an appointment at the office.