Year 3/4 - Mr K Patel & Mrs N Dale
Welcome to class KPNDY3/4!
Hello and welcome to Mr Patel and Mrs Dale’s Year 3/ class.
Mrs Dean and Mrs Schofield are our support staff who helps us with our learning.
Welcome back, we hope you had a lovely break and are ready for some more learning!
Things to remember:
- Reading records - Please make sure you listen to your child read each day and sign their reading records. It is an excellent way for you to help your child succeed in both reading and writing!
- Times tables - Your child should spend 5 minutes each day to learn their times tables. This will really help with answering the calculations they need to solve.
- Our spelling test is on Friday. New spellings are sent home the previous Friday, so make sure you help your child practice them ready for their test. Spellings can also be accessed on the Spelling Shed website, which your children know how to use.
- Homework will be set every Friday and will be an extension of what the children have been learning about in school. Please ensure homework is completed and returned to school by the following Monday.
- Swimming is on Monday morning, so make sure your child comes to school with their swimming costume (swimsuit for girls, trunks or lycra shorts, not long shorts for boys), hat and towel. Remember, if your child wears earrings, they are not allowed to swim with them in, so we advise you to take them out before coming to school. Hats are on sale at the office.
- PE is on Thursday afternoon so make sure your child comes to school with their PE kit - T-shirt and shorts, trainers, sweatshirt or hoodie and jogging bottoms for outdoor sessions. No football shirts, please.
- Celebration assembly is on a Friday afternoon - Children who have impressed the adults in class will be chosen as our star pupil of the week and will receive a certificate of achievement. All mums, dads, grandparents or carers are welcome to come along any week.
Spring term 2
English – We will be reading The Princess and the White Bear King by Tanya Robyn Batt this half term. We will be looking at a range of writing including writing character descriptions and narrative writing.
Children will have regular opportunities to have a go at writing their own.
We will be learning how sentences are structured and having plenty of practice using conjunctions, especially ones that express time, place and cause and effect.
Maths – We will begin to investigate statistics looking at and interpreting graphs, measuring length and perimeter and begin to look at fractions. We will continue to develop our mental math skills and our times table skills. We will further develop our reasoning and problem solving skills by looking at strategies we can use when faced with a problem.
Science – Year 3 will be investigating light this half term. Children will learn about different types of light sources and about reflection. Year 4 will be learning about famous scientists and inventors. Children will look at discoveries and inventions made by scientists that still have an affect on our everyday lives today.
Topic – Our topic this half term is Monarchs. This is a history based topic and children will learn about the chronology of the British monarchy, they will understand and appreciate the current role of the monarchy and the role it has undertaken in the past. Children will also learn about the Magna Carta.
Computing – Children will learn about computer networks; how they work, how they are connected and why they are useful. In this unit, the pupils will investigate how computer networks work. They will use a simulation and learn some simple command prompt (C:) tools for testing network connections.
French – Children will continue to learn language that will be useful in the classroom. They will recall the names of days of the week and revisit numbers to 20. They will begin to use this information in spoken and written sentences.. We will do this through taking part in conversations, playing games and singing songs.
RE – Children will learn about a range of symbols used by a variety of religions and begin to understand the significance of the Easter story for Christians.
PHSE - We will be following the school PHSE scheme “Jigsaw”. We will look at Healthy Me, exploring the idea of safety and considering ways that they can keep themselves safe in a range of situations.
PE – Children will be developing flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance through a unit focusing on dance. Year 3 will continue to swim weekly, developing their stamina and swimming skills.
Music – Our year 3 carry on learning to play the recorder with a specialist recorder teacher from Kirklees.
The adults in class are working hard to make sure that the children in our class have a happy and successful year. If you wish to discuss anything concerning your child, please call in and see us at the beginning or end of the school day when we are usually available, or make an appointment at the office.